Thursday, March 6, 2008

Middle Schoolers

Wow! I never thought that teaching middle school students would be so much of a challenge. I took a job teaching middle school Language Arts across town (long commute), for a couple of reasons, one of which was the opportunity to teach lower income kids, in hope that the intrinsic rewards would be a little greater than teaching kids who suffer from suburban angst.

Boy was I wrong. It is sad to see so much money being wasted on kids who do not want to learn. These kids and their parents put so little effort into their education that it makes my job as a teacher that much harder. Yes, I made the conscious decision to go back to teaching, but my experiences this year, coupled with the low pay (not surprising) and horrible employee benefits(extremely surprising), I have decided to leave education once again.

I am taking steps to move away from education and into IT (Cisco Networks). I think it will be a good move for me and my family. So long education, it was bad while it lasted.

No comments: