Monday, April 6, 2009

Another Conference!

Conference weekend came and went. It was a welcome site to see the Conference Center in SLC filled to capacity again. I don't think I have more looked forward to a general conference than I did since the conference that followed 9/11/2001. While I was scared for the physical safety of my family then, it was different. As I grow older and have had to deal with some very serious trials, physical death seems to bring me less and less fear. The only thing that I fear about physical death now, is whether or not I will be ready to meet my maker.

The problems of this world now, though, seem to me to be so much more serious. The economic crisis in this country is real, and seems to threaten the American way of life. Furthermore, the leaders of our country are so consumed with a short term fix of the economy, while disregarding the potential long term ramifications of central planning and massive deficit spending that could lead to such runnaway inflation that could make the late 1970's inflation seem tame in comparison.

It was nice to hear from our leaders though. I am sure that they see much the same things as I do. Their talks did not talk about a rosy future for the people of this Earth. But what I heard was a comforting voice from the Lord, saying "Fear Not. Be of good cheer. You have the truthfulness of the gospel to guide you through these rough times. It will not be easy, but if you hold fast to the Gospel Plan, and remember what is truly important, your worldly burdens can be made lighter."

He did not sweep away my personal responsibility. In fact in some ways I got a much needed kick in the hind parts. But I am so thankful, at this very difficult time in the World's history, to have the guidance of the Lord through his Apostles and Prophets.

It has been too long since I have last written on here, especially since this has become a sort of a journal. I will try to write more often. My future posts may be quite short, but I will do my best to keep things more current.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Conference was awesome! One quote that Pres. Thomas S. Monson said is this... "The future is as bright as your faith". I love this and I am trying to remember this everyday as we face our struggles and trials.

Hope you had a happy Easter!

Take care,
Stephanie